- Ability to oxidise (accelerate a fire)
- Human toxicity (acute or chronic)
- Corrosiveness (to human tissue or metal)
- Ecotoxicity (with or without bioaccumulation)
- Capacity, on contact with air or water, to develop one or more of the above properties
Hazardous Substances vs Dangerous Goods“Dangerous Goods” is the term used for transportation and is covered under the Land Transport Rule: Dangerous Goods 2005. “Hazardous Substances” is the term used once those goods are “on the ground” delivered, or in a warehouse or depot”, then they are covered under the HSNO Act.
Chemcouriers are experts in transporting hazardous substances.
Transporting Dangerous Goods with Chemcouriers.
Hazardous Substances WarehousingIncorrect warehousing of hazardous substances can lead to a penalty up to a $500,000 fine and three months’ imprisonment. In addition you can also be fined under the Health and Safety in Employment Act as one New Zealand company recently was for the incorrect storage of sodium metal.
- If you are not 100% sure that your hazardous substances are stored legally you could unintentionally be breaking the law. Correct storage of hazardous substances is critical to your safety, the safety of those around you, and the environment
- Our purpose built hazardous substances warehouses operating under both our Mainfreight and Owens brands, feature bunkers, enabling us to legally and safely store multiple classes of hazardous substances on one site. Our hazardous substances warehouses are available in several locations, saving you time and distribution costs by:
- The ability to have your product in several sites, or cities
- Storing your product closer to your customers
Hazardous Substances and the EnvironmentDid you know? Many common household items are hazardous to the environment and, although not classed as dangerous goods for transport, if these products are introduced into the environment, they are hazardous to our waterways, plant life and insects.
Chemcouriers are committed to protecting our environment. Our team and owner drivers are comprehensively trained in the unlikely event of a hazardous substances spill.
If you would like to know more about hazardous substances warehousing or dangerous goods transport, contact our team now.
Hazardous Substances TrainingThe risks involved in handling hazardous substances are significant to our team, the public and the environment. For this reason we invest heavily in training:
- Our team AND owner drivers have ongoing training in hazardous substances handling and Dangerous Goods licences
- Accredited HSNO Approved handlers in our sites
- All drivers and depots are audited for compliance and safety on a regular basis
- Emergency Response plans - we have procedures in place to deal with emergencies
If you would like find out more about our hazardous substances training or dangerous goods licence contact the Mainfreight Training Centre.